This page provides information on local and national processes that are in place to assure, manage and control the quality of medical education in UHL.
GMC standards and guidance in education and training state that NHS organisations should have effective systems of educational governance and leadership management to manage and control the quality of medical education and training. UHL have developed a number of local processes to meet these requirements.
1. CMG Education Leads
a) Each CMG has at least 1 education lead with time in their job plan and the following areas of responsibility
i. Quality control of education and training
ii. Governance of education resources
iii. Trainee engagement
iv. Communication and reporting
|CHUGGS||Surgical specialties||Mr John Beatty||Consultant Urologist|
|Medical specialties||Dr Amy Webster||Consultant Haematologist|
|CSI||Imaging||Dr Will Adair||Consultant Radiologist|
|Pathology||Dr Roger Hew||Consultant Histopathologist|
|ESM||Acute medicine||Dr Biju Simon||Consultant Physician|
|Specialty medicine||Dr Ruth Denton-Beaumont||Consultant Physician|
|ITAPS||Dr Rajani Annamaneni||Consultant Anaesthetist|
|MSS||Mr Bhaskar Bhowal||Consultant T&O Surgeon|
|W&C||O&G||Dr Eamonn Breslin||Consultant Obstetrician|
|Paediatrics||Dr Nahin Hussain||Consultant Paediatrician|
2. A bi-annual UHL survey has been in place since March 2016. The survey is adapted from the SPEED tool ( Scan of Postgraduate Educational Environment Domains) which was developed by researchers in Groningen (Paper 1).
All trainees and locally employed doctors in UHL are invited to complete the survey in Spring and Autumn with an average response rate of 39%. Survey outcomes, including free text comments, are shared with Trust management and the Doctors’ in Training Committee.
3. A UHL ‘Education Quality Dashboard’ was developed in 2014 to provide an overview of CMG performance for medical education. (Paper 2)
4. Bi-monthly performance reports for medical education are included in the trust’s ‘CMG Assurance Performance Review Process’.
5. Medical education updates are provided regularly to the Executive People and Culture Board as well as Trust Board.
- The annual GMC National Training Survey (NTS) is open from March to May and is mandated for all junior doctors in training. Outcomes of the survey are available from July and are analysed by the Department of Clinical Education and shared with trust management. Survey outcomes are on the GMC website, in the public domain.
- A ‘trainer’ survey is open in parallel to the NTS and all trainers who are registered with the GMC, as part of the GMC Recognition and Approval of Trainers process, are invited to complete the survey. The trainer survey is not mandated and response rates are variable.
- HEE launched the National Education and Training Survey (NETS) in 2018 and this is open to all learners within healthcare. It is envisaged that the survey will be open twice a year from 2020. The survey response rates are variable.
- HEE have a Quality Handbook which is in place to quality assure the quality of medical education within the trust.
For more information about local and national quality processes, please contact Joanne Kirtley by email email@example.com.
Select another education area…
To find out more information about our Radiology Department, please follow this section.